Visiting friends and family

It’s been a while since I posted anything about my travels in the US of A, so here we go!

After my crazy busy weekend in New York I was ready to relax, so I took the Greyhound to Chicago, where my friend Hannah picked me up and we drove to her home in Burlington, Wisconsin. I was really tired so after Hannah introduced me to fried cheese curds we chilled with Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock on Netflix and Milo and Tazz.

Hannah had to work that night in the hospital, but I was in good company. 😀  Who can say no to cuddles with these fluffs?? On Tuesday we (Hannah, her mom Sue and me) went down to visit her grandfather who lives down by lake Geneva 45 minutes away and had lunch. Hannah was still really tired from work so she took a nap while Sue and I talked to her grandfather. Even though Hannah had warned me that he was a bit strange, I enjoyed his company very much and even got a free creamsicle and a Boston cap!


Foto op 16-09-15 om 07.07

Wednesday evening Hannah didn’t have to work so we went on a (I must say, very romantic) date and saw Shaun the Sheep: The Movie and had dinner afterwards. The movie was good, but when it comes to animation, I still prefer Despicable Me or How to Train your Dragon. (If you’re curious, here’s the trailer:
Thursday and Friday were filled with more Sherlock (and some Dr Who) and on Saturday it was time for me to leave. 😦 But first Hannah and I visited the Art museum in Milwaukee. Unfortunately most of it is under construction and we only got to see a small exhibition but it feautured very nice works of art from painters such as Jackson Pollock and Mark Rothko.



We also took a walk by Lake Michigan and enjoyed the good weather!


After that it was time for me to get on the Greyhound and head to my next destination: Pen Argyl, a small town in the east of  Pennsylvania. I am not going to bore you with details from my trip but skip right ahead to the fun part: seeing my dad’s AFS parents. It was Sunday evening when I arrived and after taking a shower I was exhausted and ready for bed. Monday was Labour day, so Dad (because that’s what I call him) and I went to the Labour day parade in downtown Pen Argyl. Basically it is a two hour parade of fire trucks and police cars letting their sirens wail all the while throwing candy. I’m still surprised my ears survived all the noise!

Opening act of the Parade
Opening act of the Parade







Candy I gathered (and ended up giving away)
Candy I gathered (and ended up giving away

The parade was close to my dad’s AFS niece Jesica so we had food before and after the parade and it was really nice seeing the whole family again and catching up!
On Tuesday and Thursday we went swimming and I got to meet Amanda’s puppy Lily, which is absolutely adorable!


On Wednesday it was pouring down rain so Jesica and I went shopping in an outlet before picking up her daughter Sariena.
On Friday evening everyone came over for dinner, Dad grilled chicken on the barbecue and in the oven, Amy brought her famous pierogi (if you want to know what that is and how to make it, click here: ), Terry made her much desired slaw salad (with noodles)  and it was a very merry night! There was lots of laughter, we talked about dad when he was there with AFS and reminisced about my visit in 2006. I had  a lof of fun and crawled happily into bed. Saturday morning Jesica, Sariena, Amanda (Jesica’s sister) and I went to a flea market. The things you find there… Then it was time for me to pack my bags yet again and in the pouring rain Dad, Amy and I drove to Allentown and I was on my way to Boston!

But more on Boston Sunday!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s